Monday, June 30, 2014
Akron Summit Community Action is currently recruiting volunteers to help maintain our community gardens located in the Summit Lake neighborhood. Volunteers must be willing to work outside and engage in various gardening activities such as weeding, planting, watering and crop gleaning (if necessary). They are in need volunteers continually throughout the growing and harvest season (June through October).
If interested in this project, please contact Gina Shaw, Neighborhood Development Program Administrator at: 330-572-8321
Akron Summit Community Action is in need of volunteers for our first annual National Night Out Against Crime event scheduled to take place on Tuesday August 5, 2014 from 5:30pm - 8:00pm. We are in need of volunteers to help with event set up, tear down and clean up efforts between 4pm and 9pm. We need at least 20 volunteers to make this event a success.
Please contact Gina Shaw at: 330-572-8321 if you are interested.
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
iCan Bike Camp Needs 80 Volunteers!!The Autism Society of Greater Akron is holding it's 3rd iCan Bike Camp from July 14-18 at Copley High School. The 5-day program teaches individuals of many different abilities to ride a two-wheel bicycle without training wheels. This achievement offers these special people a sense of independence, the chance to become part of a "social group", and empowers them with a lifetime of healthy living through exercise.
Description of Duties
Volunteers serve as spotters for riders by walking/jogging behind campers to help teach balance and provide emotional and motivational support. There are 5 daily sessions with 8 riders in each session, so we need 80 volunteers to make this program a success. Campers rely on their volunteer to help them learn to ride a bike, so we encourage volunteers to try their best to commit to working the entire week of the camp for the session(s) they select. We understand this might not always be possible and will consider other schedules.
Choose From These Daily Session Times: 8:30 am, 10:05 am, 11:40 am, 2:00 pm, 3:35 pm
- Should be 16 years of age - those 15 years old may volunteer with an adult
- Able to jog at a moderate pace for one hour with short breaks or walk fast for one hour with short breaks
- Able to attend a Volunteer Orientation and Training Session on Sunday, July 13th at 4pm at Copley High School
- Earn up to 9 hours during the week for one session for 5 days
- Earn up to 16.5 hours during the week for two sessions for 5 days
- HERE to view a video about what happens during the week of camp
- HERE for a testimonial from last year's volunteers
- HERE to download a Volunteer Registration Form
Please pass this along to anyone you feel might be able to assist!
Follow all of our programs by LIKING US ON FACEBOOK!